Lake Michigan is by far one of the best places to go and test your new professional camera! The lake offers breathtaking views and a huge variety of sceneries! Chances are that you would not be disappointed regardless of which time of the year you choose to visit. It is one of the five Great Lakes, but the other four share borders with Canada while Lake Michigan belongs to the U.S. only. It covers more than 22,000 square miles. During most of this winter season the lake remained completely frozen, but as the weather began getting warmer and warmer, this was surely about to change, and it did! The flowing water under the surface layer of ice started applying pressure and it shattered in a way that words cannot describe! Thankfully, there are many photos we can share and the list below contains some of the best ones!
1. This image shows just how cold it was
There is no wonder that the lake was frozen for months. The temperatures dropped really low in certain areas, and in Chicago they reached a whopping -30C!
2. People loved walking on the ice
It seems that nature provided a unique way for all the people close to the lake to be able to enjoy it in a different way. For a long period of time the ice was thick enough for people to walk on and take photos.
3. The waves froze while crashing
Winter landscapes have always been our favorite because they completely transform a place we know really well.
4. Evemtually the ice started breaking
Water will eventually take over and melt all the ice that was left after the winter ended.
5. Here is how beautiful it is
Of course, Lake Michigan is beautiful in summer, too, but in winter it looks so serene that we love it!
6. This is how the layer of ice shattered
Nothing could resist the force of water, and the top layer of ice stood no chance! It shattered in a beautiful way!
7. Such landscapes are one-of-a-kind
We wish we had a similar place near us where we could go and enjoy such views during the winter!
8. Shattered ice looks like glass
The effect of the ice layer breaking is mesmerizing to see, and this photo shows its raw beauty!
9. Here is our kind of view
Looking at this image makes us wonder if we could spend all day looking at this view. Oh, yes, we definitely could!
10. The scenery in winter is post-apocalyptic
We like the surreal feeling we get when we look at such winter landscapes! We like how clean everything looks, too!
11. The shattered ice is beautiful under the sunset
We simply love how she sunlight is reflected in the rugged surface of the water! This photo makes us feel calm.
12. Here is one close-up of the ice
The pattern in which the ice broke is something we have never seen before! Nothing can withstand the force of water, we guess!
13. The waves next to the lighthouse are amazing
The sunlight shining over this landscape really adds to the whole composition and shows the beauty of this place!
14. The ice was piled up literally everywhere
Such conditions are not for everyone! You need to really like such sceneries in order for you to endure the cold weather while admiring them!
15. Here is something only nature is capable of
The shattered ice is absolutely stunning to see and maybe it would never look lile that again!
16. Beuaty lies in the simple things
We guess that something as simple as ice could form things that no work of art could be able to replicate!
17. This is one dreamy landscape
It is easy to see that this is not just another frozen lake! This is a one-of-a-kind phenomenon.
18. It really looks surreal
The broken ice created forms that we have never seen before, and we are glad people shared them!
19. Here is how the ice pieces reflect the sunset
We cannot get enough of seeing the beautiful patterns created by the shattered ice on top of the lake.
20. This looks like a mountain view
It is hard to believe that this is a lake and not a mountain! Winter can transform any place!
22. This image is also taken at the lake
It is hard to believe how a lake could like like when sever winter hits!
24. This is a beautiful image
We love the contrast of this clock tower and the landscape behind it! It looks like a work of art!
25. Here is one of the most beautiful images on the list
Seeing this image made us feel sorry that we did not have the chance to this landscape in person!
26. People had something to say about the phenomenon
This person was excited to see the frozen lake just as we were!
27. We couldn’t agree more
We guess that the word ‘cool’ does not even begin to describe it, but it would do.
28. Come to thing of it, it does look a bit intimidating
People were advised not to step on the ice because it was too fragile and unsafe!
29. We want to go back to Michigan, too
If we had the chance, we would gladly spend at least a day admiring the frozen lake!
30. People were thankful for the pictures shared on social media
We are also thankful that many people shared their photos online for all of us to see!
31. This person has probably seen how beautiful Michigan winters are
We wish we could say the same, but we have never seen such a beautiful winter.
32. Everyone felt the same way about the mesmerizing beauty of the lake
Nobody could help it but express their admiration for the wonders nature is capable of.