We guess that people take many things in their lives for granted until they realize that they are privileged to have them. It takes a change in one’s lifestyle or maybe a journey to a different continent in order for them to see that the things they accept as normal and mandatory are more or less exclusive or at least completely different from the ways of the rest of the world. The list here shows some good examples given by Americans on social media when someone asked about the things they realized they were privileged to have after visiting other countries.
1. This is how it all started
Maybe this person knew how this worked and they personally saw just how much things are different in the rest of the world compared to the U.S.
2. The funny inconsistencies between British and U.S English language are many
Imagine how the British KFC employees must have felt when this person tried to order chicken with cookies on the side! This is not a good combination at all.
3. There are blocks mostly in American cities
Chances are that if you try to explain to someone out of the U.S. that a certain location was only ‘a few blocks away’, you would probably end up being stared at with a blank expression!
4. Some things are learned the hard way
Many people claim that people in the U.S are louder than in the majority of other countries. It appears that it is something we are just used to, but not everyone had the chance to compare and see for themselves!
5. This is actually convenient
It seems that there are still things to learn from the ways which other countries go by. There are many good examples of things we could incorporate in our lives and this is one of them!
6. We guess that most nationalities have a different way of communication
Americans are mostly friendly in their behavior to strangers, regardless of their origins, but the same cannot be said for many other nationalities, and this examples proves it.
7. The habits we have are not all good
It seems that the way of life of most U.S. citizens cannot be referred to as ‘healthy’, and the difference between us and Europe, for example, is really huge!
8. The excessive amount of sugar we use is something we are aware of
The true scale of this problem becomes apparent once you have the chance to visit a foreign country and try some of their traditional desserts and other sweets.
9. The ways in Kenya are different, apparently
This is actually a valuable piece of advice, because offending someone in a foreign country is the last thing you would like to do! It seems that it could even lead to major problems!
10. It seems that garbage disposals are not a common thing abroad
In fact, many people are not aware that these devices even exist, and it is kind of weird, because they are really handy!
11. This is so typical
We guess that this is the most appropriate way you could call this flavor!
12. Root beer is not accepted in many countries
We wonder why this is a fact, because it is so refreshing in the summer and we love it!
13. Here is a habit that should be adopted in the U.S.
In a world that chokes on plastic, we should definitely reduce the use of disposable bags!
14. This is a huge difference
It seems that Americans are used to enjoying the comfort an air conditioner brings 24/7.
15. Being too friendly abroad is a no-no
It is a normal way to behave, but it is considered more or less bizarre in many countries!
16. Going out in Europe is really different
The dining experience Europeans are used to is different than the typical one in the U.S.
17. The wide roads we are used to are not typical for Europe and most of the world
This is definitely a huge difference and you need to experience it for yourself.
18. Now this is something we would find hard to accept
We mean, how is it possible for s’mores to not be a thing all around the world? We love eating those!
19. We tend to agree with this one, too
As you probably noticed if you travelled to Europe, there are not enough public restrooms around.
20. People are not friendly with strangers in most parts of the world
Talking to strangers is a normal thing in the U.S., but it is not a thing in other countries.
21. Here is another proof of the above stated opinion
Giving a random smile to a stranger may even be considered to be creepy in some places!
22. There are no laws prohibiting drinking in public places around Europe
We guess that this is one of the things that make a huge difference between the two continents.
23. Huge distances are a common thing for the U.S.
Europeans actually plan ahead if they need to spend more than a couple of hours driving!
24. The size ot American stores is impressive compared ot the rest of the world
Everyone is amazed by just how big grocery and convenient stores in the U.S. are!
25. Stores that are open 24/7 are not a common thing in many countries
This is so convenient that it is strange how some countries don’t have such stores!
26. Paying for ketchup at a buffet is a no-no
Considering just how much Americans love ketchup, it would be an outrage it this happens here.
27. The drive-through restaurants are a favorite thing to many people
Sadly, much of the rest of the world is not aware of how cool these locations are!
28. This must be a thing everywhere
We are so used to this that we would demand it when we go abroad!